Wednesday, January 30, 2013

20 miles



Less than 3 weeks, people.

I know I haven't updated in a while.  Don't worry, I have excuses.  (I know you were concerned.)

So what I failed to mention in my last post was the stomach bug.  I ran my 18 miles on the 12th and then on the 14th I caught some sort of nasty 24-hour stomach bug. I can't remember the last time I was that sick.  Seriously.  It was horrible.  Just my luck to have to call in sick during my second week of my new job.  And there's probably nothing more humbling than throwing up in your coffee mug while driving home.  (Yup that went straight to the trash.)

Thankfully I have a ton of amazing friends who were willing to help me in my time of need, a fiance who brought my gatorade and comfort, and a saintly sister who stocked me up with soup, crackers, bananas, and applesauce. (BRAT diet anyone?)

So needless to say I missed some running that week.  I did run that Wednesday, Thursday, and I think Friday, but I again didn't do my long run, which was supposed to be 12 miles.  Instead I decided to make up for it by trying to run ~20 miles throughout the next week to prepare for the longest and most important long run.

Sunday the 20th I ran 7 miles, and then I spent some time on the treadmill throughout the week.  (I think I did 4/5/3 miles? But since it was on the treadmill I don't have it recorded.)

And then my shining moment came on Saturday.  I actually did my long run somewhere other than my neighborhood.

Yes, you read that right.  After all my griping I finally headed out to White Rock and did 2 loops plus 2 miles.  20 miles baby. Averaged 10:18/mile... more than I wanted but at least I got 'er done.

My excuses for that include taking a while to get started so I could get to the right place in my audio book, and having to stop to take a rock out of my shoe.  OH!  and stopping to take a look at these:

 

Those are Monk Parakeets!  There was probably 5 or so of them along the trail.  Little cuties!

Also, I'm currently listening to Divergent by Veronica Roth

Buy it on Amazon!



















It was recommended to me by my friend Megan, I believe (thanks Megan!!).  It's on the list of books that you're supposed to like if you loved The Hunger Games trilogy... which I DID.  I'm loving this right now!  And it's a trilogy so if I finish it before my marathon I can start on the next one!  Perfect.

Anyway, that's enough over-sharing for today.  :)

Stay away from stomach bugs.  Do your long runs.

No comments: