Monday, October 7, 2013

He Is Mighty To Save

As I was on my lunchtime run this afternoon, enjoying the "cool" 81 degree weather, the song "Mighty to Save" came on.  I don't remember adding that to my running mix, but I was glad for my "mistake" and the train of thought it led to while I was huffing and puffing.

Just those three opening words:
"Everyone needs compassion"

I could stop there.  Everybody that you see/meet/know needs compassion. Even that person you avoid or ignore or constantly roll your eyes out.  They too have an innate need for compassion.

My husband's sermon this week was about obedience and included a challenge to do something small this week... whether it be extra prayer time, reading a little more of the Bible, or being patient with someone.  I got a tinge of what my "small thing" might be this morning at work, and my run just confirmed it.

I need to be kind where I am reluctant to do so.

Part of how I know is because of my reluctance.  When you [read: I] are doing something that you wish you didn't have to or think "mm yeah, not this time," you should check yourself, especially if it's something like extending kindness or compassion to someone.

I'm really picking this song apart but the chorus/main theme of the song is, "My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save." 

Do you get it?  [Might: great and impressive power of strength.]  It sometimes takes a lot for me to be kind to someone that I don't have great impressions of.  You could say it takes a lot of might.  But God is mighty to save.  That means that He looks down on this broken, sinful world, full of people constantly running from their Creator, and even though we fight Him, He uses all of his might to love us.  He has compassion on us.  He saves us.

He is mighty to save.


No comments: