Friday, March 1, 2013

Choose your words

source














This might be my most unpopular post to date, but I have to say something.

Please, people, stop using the word "Thinspiration."

Please.

It's no secret I'm an avid blog reader, as well as a lover of teen fiction, so my inner teenager got a tumblr a couple of years ago.  Scrolling through blogs quickly showed me this new phenomenon of "thinspiration"... pictures posted by girls of what they want to look like.

More digging showed more pictures of girls with bones sticking out, tips on how to fast, an obsession with getting a "thigh gap," and so much more, all linked to "thinspiration" or "thinspo."

Do you know what happens when you look up "thinspiration" on Wikipedia?  A definition of pro-ana and pro-mia, or pro-anorexic and pro-bulimia.  The very WORD promotes eating disorders.  

It is heart-breaking.  Most of these girls are teenagers.

I felt a little better when I started finding the healthier alternative in "fitspiration" which promotes a fit and active lifestyle with a balanced, healthy diet. The problem with this is still the images that girls post as their "fitspiration!"  They're still aspiring to look/be like someone that they aren't.

The other downfall of this is the unhealthy obsession with getting fit.  It can take over your mind and lead to disordered thoughts.  It can mean "punishing" yourself for having too many cookies with an extra 500 push-ups.  (Although this is more like exercise anorexia.)

I am not a nutritionist.  I am not a doctor.  I am not an expert on this. 

All I'm saying is to choose your words.



On a lighter note, I used to use the word "redonkulous" all the time and apparently my mom picked up on it and used it in conversation one day.  This was met by an unknowing party who exclaimed something along the lines of, "Do you even KNOW what that MEANS?!" (Drama added, I'm sure.) So my mom was left wondering what on earth her daughter had taught her.  (The word is just an exaggeration of ridiculous, completely harmless.)

Point being, I know a lot of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, could care less, or won't come across a situation with this, but I wanted to put it out there.

Rant over.  You are beautiful, people. Every last one of you.

No comments: