Thursday, February 14, 2013

My First Crack at #CRAK

So my first #CRAK came up all on its own, but wasn't all that random.

The Pier 1 Imports home office was having a blood drive on Ash Wednesday, and I had beefed up on my B12 just for the occasion.  :)  (I have a deficiency and it affects my iron or "hemoglobin" levels which they test for.)

If you know me well enough you've heard me talk about giving blood every chance I get because of knowing what it can do for someone.  Commercials for the American Red Cross or Carter talk about how one blood donation can save up to 3 lives, but it can prolong one too.













My dad's mom, my Mammaw, had Leukemia, which is a blood cancer.  Any sort of treatment like radiation or chemotherapy would have just taken her from us faster than the disease, so she relied on blood transfusions.  Instantly they would perk her up and give us back our grandma.

She lost her battle with Leukemia early in the morning of February 15, 2008.

Wasn't she a babe??



















When I started considering long distance running, I didn't want to run just to run.  I wanted it to have a purpose.  And then, by chance, I was at the Southwest health fair and Team in Training had a booth set up.  It was just what I was looking for!

I called them up immediately and the girl on the phone kept trying to let me know that I could have time to decide if I wanted to commit to training/fundraising but I was 100% sure I wanted to.

I got to spend a summer training with my sister and then running in San Francisco in my first half marathon in memory of my Mammaw.  I also raised $2,810 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society with the help of many many friends, family members, and acquaintances.















So obviously, I love the woman.  And I miss her so much.  Long story short, cancer SUCKS and it sucks more when it takes someone you love away from you.

When you donate blood you might be helping someone else's grandma or grandpa or family member or child have a little more time with their family... for free.  That is the ultimate kindness.

No comments: